Stained glass entitled Death to Fascism, Freedom to People by Vojo Dimitrijević, 1966
The stained glass at the Museum entrance tell the story of different layers of Bosnian history and also the history of the Museum itself. Installed for the Museum of the Revolution in 1947, the central part bears the slogan ”Death to Fascism..,” strongly promoting the ideas of anti-facism and the socialist state of Yugoslavia, still relevant today. Some of the bright colors are damaged by bullet holes that bear witness to a new layer of history – the period of the siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s. The third layer, yellow police tape, shows a “shutdown of culture,” it is a reminder that the museum is still in danger due to the state’s failure to secure its legal status and funding.
The mosaic entitled Bosnia by Mladen Srbinović, 1966
The mosaic is an introduction to the story of the history of Bosnia and Herzegovina that is told through the museum exhibits. This decorative, symbolic, and rather abstract mosaic explains different stages of the history of Bosnia: skulls are symbols of war and death, Thanatos and flowers represent peace, life, and love. The red line or red arabesque, as the artist calls it, is the force that helps bring eternal renewal and birth from nothingness. The red line symbolizes recovery, blossoming, desire, and ability. Elements of different religious architecture are visible in the mosaic; they are reminders of the ethnic diversity that has always been intertwined in Bosnia.
The scuplture entitled Carrying The Wounded by Antun Augustinčić, n.d.
This composition is the work of the Croatian sculptor and art teacher Antun Augustinčić (1900-1979), who, in addition to a rich body of artistic works in Yugoslavia, earned a reputation in the world, winning numerous competitions for monuments. The sculpture Carrying The Wounded is one of many such compositions developed for different structures in Yugoslavia with the goal of glorifying the national struggle for liberation. The composition consists of three characters. In the foreground an injured man is carried by two fellow soldiers, one on each side, which thereby seeks to show unity and solidarity among the participants of the national struggle for liberation. The bodies have been shaped so that the process of the sculpture growing from the stone mass is visible. The sculpture was acquired from the artist in 1965.
A German glider from World War II
The skeleton of glider DFS 230 is on display in the atrium. This type of glider was among the first models used in real combat. It was a conventional glider, with regular and high-set wings at an angle of 90 ° to the body. It was developed in 1932; it could carry a pilot and 10 troops in full battle gear, or a payload of 1250 kg. This type of glider was used in the Raid on Drvar in May, 1944, an attempt to kill or capture Marshal Tito, the supreme commander of the National Liberation Army of Yugoslavia (the NOVJ).
An armored train from World War II
The armored train was intended for a armed struggle. It consists of armored locomotives, several armored railroad cars and utility cars or platforms. A major use of armored trains by the Nazi forces during World War II was in the occupied countries of Europe, especially in former Yugoslavia. They were used for protecting important railways and buildings from attacks by partisan units.
The train owned by the History Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is one of three armored trains used in the NDH (the Independent State of Croatia). The armored cars were made in the railway workshop in Zagreb in 1942.